How to make The Raw Turkey Cake
This was originally created for Christmas after I had made one too many beautiful wedding cakes and needed a change. He has international fans now… he even has a name but I’ve been told that’s creepy so lets just call it the raw turkey cake.
POINTS BEFORE WE START
- This tutorial is for those with some previous experience of baking and covering cakes but if you’re a beginner with a give-it-a-go attitude you should have some fun too.
- These quantities make a cake roughly 32cm (13”) long by 22cm (9”) wide and 22cms (9”) high which fits the average disposable turkey roasting tray.
- Scale the template up or down to your needs and alter the quantities to suit.
- When making a carved cake always use a sponge with decently strong, even texture – (not carrot cake for example, as it won’t carve smoothly)
- A large roasting tin makes a good pan for baking your sheet cakes in.
- Print out a really good quality photograph of a raw turkey taken from the side and another one taken from the front and back if you want to do a really good job – you can keep using these references alongside my pictures and instructions
YOU WILL NEED
- Cake board or work board for building your cake on – at least as big as size of your final cake
- Roasting tin or disposable foil turkey tray – remember this is ‘raw’ so it wouldn’t be seen on a fancy serving plate
- Rolling pin
- Sharp paring knife
- Serrated bread knife for carving
- Palette knife for applying buttercream/frosting
- Dresden tool or blunt knife for tooling details
- Little piece of baker’s string for tying legs together
|Buttercream / Frosting||2 kg / 4.5lb (1 butter: 2 icing sugar/powdered sugar)
Dye it red using paste colours (Optional: take a small quantity of the red, add blue dye to give purple for added yuk factor later)
|Sponge cake||3 x sheets of cake each 3cm deep and 25.5cm x 37cm (roughly translates to 1.25″ deep by 10” x 14.5”). A large roasting pan works well for baking sheet cake and I have a recipe suggestion here
Brush the cooled sheet cakes with syrup before starting to stack them
|Syrup||140g/5oz sugar dissolved in 225ml/1 cup water or flavoured to suit your cake|
|Marzipan||1.5kg/3.3lb (use white and not golden marzipan)|
|Rice Krispies treats||60g/2oz|